Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Sustainable Things

For years I've been personally concerned about the environment. Climate change has been on my radar since I was a kid. And the problem only seems to have grown. The weather extremes in recent years seem to demonstrate that. I'm only one person, but I felt I had to find ways to make some difference.

To that end, I've worked to make my art and the practice of it as eco-friendly as possible. I try to conserve and reuse resources like water and energy. I work to reduce waste by incorporating salvaged materials like plastics, paper, wood, and metals into my work (in addition to the recycling, growing bee and bird friendly things, and conserving in my personal life). 

A new piece for a new series
But recently as I was finishing a new sculpture, I began to wonder whether my work could truly be considered sustainable.

So I Googled it (as one does). "What is sustainable art?"

Wikipedia: Sustainable art
 is art in harmony with the key principles of sustainability, which include ecologysocial justicenon-violence and grassroots democracy.[1] Sustainable art may also be understood as art that is produced with consideration for the wider impact of the work and its reception in relationship to its environments (social, economic, biophysical, historical and cultural). 

While it's a lofty, high arching explanation, I do believe that in many respects, my work, as humble as it may be, aligns with many of these principles. Though I have a ways to go in my understanding of true planet friendly art and achieving same, I think I'm well on my way, ideals in hand.

You can read more about my new series of sustainable art by becoming a supporter on Patreon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment