Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Consistency

 The longer I live, the more I realize the common denominator to success in practically any endeavor in life is consistency. 

From my observation, consistency seems to bear more weight than passion, talent, or other resources in terms of realizing any level of success.

Think about habits. Skills. Things like exercise. Healthy eating. Being a good parent, friend, partner. Pickleball player (what is that anyway??). All benefit from consistency. I can't think of many things (aside from bad habits or destructive behavior) that do not reap benefits from consistency. 

I mean obvi, right? But this revelation arose in my consciousness when I noticed correlations between people who achieved significant success in a thing by continually showing up, as opposed to those who might have the advantages of special talent, financial resources, or access to tools (or people) to help them be successful... but do not manage to be consistent. The results are quite different. 

"Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you're willing to practice, you can do. -Bob Ross

As an artist, throughout my life I've encountered people who believe that talent is the only thing needed to "have it made" as a creative professional. Not so, my friends. In order to achieve any measure of growth, ability, or accomplishment, a creative needs a level of consistency in their practice. He or she needs to show up for it. Whether or not we feel up to our own expectations or the expectations of others, consistently showing up is how we meet or exceed our potential.

I have seen plenty of examples of artists whom I believed had more talent (than me, at least), who just couldn't or wouldn't be consistent in their creative practice. And I've watched people who weren't gifted "natural talent" persistent and develop significant bodies of outstanding work, careers, and recognition. 

I'm sharing these things to argue the point and to be a reminder to myself (and anyone else who needs it). Be consistent. Granted, I realize consistency is not the only ingredient necessary. But it is a very important one!

I sometimes get tired, experience burnout, lack of motivation with my creative work and things beyond it. Life in general. But I realize taking a moment, then coming back at it helps me. 

For example, my gardening. It's been a tricky, sketchy season where most of my green endeavors are concerned. 

My garden has seen wildly abnormal weather, pests I'm not accustomed to, and just general unpredictable conditions from month to month. But I try to remain consistent with it, and I do see some rewards.

Same with my baking and cooking. I don't have an extensive repertoire of amazing dishes I can create from memory.

But I'm learning my strengths and building a cache of favorite recipes that I can prepare well time and time again. And though I have frustrating moments where things don't turn out right, consistency is my friend. This blog and my other content outlets are another example. When I'm consistent, it only gets easier and more enriching for me. 

Yes, there are moments when life is just "lifeing" and it's hard to keep up and stay consistent with all the things we want to do. But the rewards make it pretty compelling to keep trying. ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment