Wednesday, July 19, 2023

boredom

As a creative person, I can say that I never have the opportunity to get bored. For me, there is always something to do. I don't wanna jinx myself or anything, but I rarely have the chance to experience boredom. Burnout, yes, low energy, okay, even low motivation. 

getting exercise at
Stone Mountain Park
But I always have something on my lists of things to do. Sometimes a mental list, sometimes on my phone, sometimes scribbled onto a scrap of paper. There are so many things I want to discover and do. So many things I want to see, learn about and create. I really have my pick of many, many things to do (don't you?). And life on this planet (from a starkly linear perspective) is not an endless, unlimited stretch of time. So if I'm not in my studio working on any number of different projects, I have regular home and garden things like cleaning, maintaining, and keeping things running smoothly. I don't have time to be bored if I have errands to run or outside commitments. If there's waiting in line or downtime away from my studio, I often
have a sketchbook with me, several books downloaded onto my phone, or things I'm working on writing. Lines and waiting times are great for researching things on my phone. The time flies by and I don't have to use my time later.

If none of the above works for me on a given day, I have accumulated a reading list and a cue of books in my personal library that I'm woefully behind on. It's silly, really. I love to read, but where does the time go? As far as social interests, while I don't have as much time in my current season as I would like to for social things, I have groups and connections that make it easy for me to join a hike, a night out, or many other types of fun adventures in my state and beyond almost at the drop of a hat. 

And if all else fails, [cooking] eating, and sleeping are almost always a win. I try to make time for these because for me they mean self-care. So, no. I don't know boredom. Who is she?

No comments:

Post a Comment