Monday, September 4, 2023

Chaos > Stagnation

If you walk into my studio, you might wonder why I have SO many projects going at the same time. 

Almost everywhere you look in here, there is a work in progress. Some just begun and some just a few mere steps from completion.

A lot of people will claim

"There's a method to my madness"

, but in my case, it's really true. Firstly, to be clear, I keep my home life and personal spaces as neat and tidy as possible for my comfort and sanity. Things are always folded and put away, I make my bed everyday, I typically clean behind myself as I do things like cook, eat, bathe, change clothes. But for my studio, I simply can't follow the same procedures.

It's normal that I will NOT finish a project in one session in my studio.

Totally normal. And when that project involves mixing things like paint, paper pulp, or other things, I don't store those away until I can return. I keep them out, nearby the project, usually covered to save them until I can get back to that particular project. And since I always have numerous projects going at once, pushing forward, seeking the finish line, as you might imagine, there is stuff everywhere.

 
This goes on until things are just too hard to work around and frustration sets in. Then I am forced to do a reorganization, reset, and cleaning.

The good thing is that the chaos does not usually impede my creative process. Sometimes it even helps, in a sort of "against all odds" scenario, spurring me on, digging through the mess to find just the right color paint, pencil, or object to bring a work to the pinnacle of completion. 

I have a few unofficial stations for

different types of work in my small workspace, and it's like this at all of them. I never succeed in restricting tasks to just their designated area. 

So it really is a stark contrast from the other areas of my life. But somehow, for the most part, it works. I get things done! And if it ain't broke...

No comments:

Post a Comment