Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Inherited Creativity

I am a multimedia artist. I've spent many years charting my own creative course. And it's definitely a unique one. But I come from a family of creative people (on both sides) who left me a creative birthright and some tools to help me along the way. 

It's exciting to hear from my parents about the things they remember their parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles pursuing. My mother's mother "couldn't boil water" as a young woman, according to my mom. But she went on to become a sought-after cook who created a side income for her family with her food, which was widely requested for parties and holidays. She also developed her crafty side to make decor, lay beautiful tables and to sew. She taught me my first hand-sewing basics. I think of her as her town's own Martha Stewart.

My dad's mom was a teacher who also excelled at sewing, owned numerous sewing machines and was always working on multiple projects, including beading, crafting, and reworking old things to make new things [ahem!]. She had her own brick & mortar store for a time. When we visited, I would ask her to show me her latest projects and I would tell her about mine. The last series of projects she worked on (in her eighties) were some beautiful framed button collages. I wish I had some of them, but since I don't,  I may need to make some of my own in remembrance. She gave me some of my first art and craft technique books. And along with a creative spark, she gave me all kinds of fabric, beads, and other supplies over the years. 

SN: Both of my grandmothers were fashionistas who liked to express themselves through their personal style. I feel their influence whenever I put on an outfit that makes me feel fierce or even just a red lip (my mom's mom would put on lipstick to go to the mailbox!).

Recently, my dad refreshed my memory of a great aunt whom he said I was most like in that she was multi-disciplinary and created so many different types of art. I wish I had more info on her and her work. But this was pre-internet, and though I met her when I was small, the only memory I have is a beautiful little riverstone painted like a ladybug that she gave me. Somehow I truly believe she sits on my shoulder and inspires me because I think of her often.

a drafting table like my dad's
There are more who illuminate my memories and my path with their lanterns of resourcefulness and inspiration, but we'd be here all day talking about them, for sure. 

Today I thought it would be fun to share some of the creative things that were given or handed down to me by my family. All were used by their original owners who then left them to me. Most have gone on, but some are still around to see what I create with these gifts.

Here are a few of the things my dad gave me. I had his drafting table from childhood to art college. I had painted the natural wood surface numerous times in different motifs, the last being a bright, colorful abstract that went with the modern art aesthetic I preferred back then. I wish I still had this table!

my dad's pastels
my dad's watercolors




 













some of my grandmother's thimbles


my other grandmother's Singer
My dad's mom had numerous sewing machines. She gave me my first one from her collection. But this was my maternal grandmother's only machine (that I recall). She had it since before my mom was born, but when I came along, though she wasn't sewing as much, it still worked. Even the light came on. And as an adult, I was able to sew things like a window valance, a chair cushion, and a bedskirt on it. If it weren't for a worn plug, I would still plug it in and use it! 



my grandmother's brownie camera
Nana: early influencer?



I have a number of other creative tools and toys that belonged to my loved ones. One of which is my "cooking" grandmother's apron. Check out the pocket!



Make no mistake, I realize how fortunate I am to have these things and the memories attached to them. They will continue to serve as inspiration to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment