Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The "C" Word

In this modern time, bursting with so many politically sensitive subjects, there are certain topics and even words that may ruffle a few feathers.

There is one word in particular that bugs me, and, if may be so presumptuous, others like me. It's a word that's sometimes casually thrown around in conversation. Even I personally use it, but only in certain contexts. I guess there's an invisible line one can cross if they're not careful or just plain unaware. But in one particular situation, this word could be utterly cringeworthy (or just "cringe" as my nephew says).

The word I'm referring to is "cute". Hear me out. As an artist who has devoted years to my work and the learning of skills related to my work, I can't think of any instance where I esteem to hear the word cute used to describe my work. I can say with confidence this holds true for many creative people. 

Regardless of the type of art created, be it drawing, painting, writing, or dance. Late nights, long hours, trial and error, frustration, blood, sweat, and tears are sometimes par for the course, so having the work one has committed one's soul to reduced to "cute" can be, well, deflating. There are well-meaning folks out there who, not sure how to respond to someone's work, throw out the c-word. They may not like the work, may not understand it, or not understand the point behind the work. Or they may like the work, but not know how to express that. That's understandable! I empathize when it's obvious someone is nervously searching for the right words. But I also pick up on slick, ill-intentioned tones, in regard to my own work or others' work (i.e. oh, that's cute how you threw that together. I used to make stuff. Maybe I should do something like that... "). And I will offer insight where helpful or necessary.


okay, maybe a little cute...

Might I recommend (where possible) instead asking questions about the work? What emotions did the artist hope to evoke, or what inspired the work? Those (at least for me) are safe zones. It lets the viewer off the hook and gets the creator talking so we can better understand their aim. I say "we" because I write this as both an artist and a person who seeks to experience and appreciate others' art.

I feel certain that at least a handful of artists I know probably wouldn't mind the word cute used to describe their work. 

And funnily, I like to let people decide for themselves what to think and feel about my work. How to experience it or simply ignore it. I enjoy it when someone has an entirely different perspective of my work than what I was thinking when I made it. I believe that, in a way, they are creating with me when they interact with a piece. I also try not to take myself and my work too seriously. Life is too short to be a dry, humorless artist!

But I'd love to save the c-word for things like bunnies, babies, and art that is actually labeled "kawaii" (which literally translates to cute in Japanese). Your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment