Tuesday, April 18, 2023

To NOW

As I recently rode through my neighborhood looking at the homes and the people buzzing around, each in their own space puttering, playing, doing various things, I realized that I was witnessing many individual universes in action.

Side by side, but separate, each home encompassed its own traits, quirks, and style. And I thought about how within the boundaries of each home were unique rules, ideals, and expectations. And beyond that, my neighborhood has its rules, ideals and expectations. And further on, my town, my state, etc. Each its own intricate universe. 
the tiny universe inside
one of my nasturtiums 

And then I thought about things in reverse, considering that each home has people, possibly pets, and plants, which are each their own universe of cells and microorganisms governed by the thing they make up. And so on, until we get to the smallest unit of matter.

a mouse pad I made myself
And all these universes, great and small, are constantly changing, evolving, being born, dying. And 50 years from now, many will be forgotten, as completely different people, homes, etc. take precedence with different rules, ideals, and expectations (crazy, right?).

I often find myself rushing around trying to be productive, to do more, to make more art while I can.

I recently thought about my work around the world in different hands and different homes, and how my work could still exist well after I'm a faint memory. But even if it didn't, there are so many brave, talented creative souls who will continue the push to add wonder and art to this world. I love that! So I remind myself to be in the moment, especially when I'm creating, because when it comes down to it, the process, the journey through creating, is often more important than the work created.

work in progress
For me, that's where the growth is found, that's where the discovery happens, where the lessons are learned. Really, the finished work is just a bonus. The experience in the moment is the big prize.

So why wouldn't we relish now, with every tiny facet of beauty and peace and hopes and hard things and lessons we have to experience?

the time is now
There is so much to experience right now, that 
it kinda makes being laser-focused on yesterday or tomorrow, at the expense of the present moment a little... well, silly. I sometimes catch myself swirled up in the "what ifs" and the "why didn't I" and I make an effort to drag myself back to the shimmering, wonderous present. Even if that's something as monotonous as picking up some groceries.

I try to find something fun in even that ("hey, they updated the packaging of my favorite pasta and it's a bonus size!"). This moment, right now, is a present I want to be sure to savor.

Here's to now with all of its universes, big and small.


No comments:

Post a Comment