Tuesday, April 3, 2012

New Frontier

What's been on my mind the past couple of weeks (at least in the marketing section of my brain)? Among other things, QR codes. I've been hearing about them and seeing them pop up everywhere, but until recently, have kept the idea of getting one for lil' ol' moi on the back burner. What is a QR code, you ask? It is a series of pixels arranged in a design, which, when scanned with a smart phone or tablet, takes you to a specific website.

scan me!
Odds are, you're seeing them pop up everywhere as well. Anyway, just like every other new social media/ networking/ marketing           "you need to do this today" thing that I come across everyday, when I first heard about regular folks like myself getting them, I said, yeah, that sounds good, but it'll just have to go on the bottom of the pages long to-do list. Well, in the same spirit that has moved me to finally find time to update my website, get the mobile version functional, and make other progress, I, Renée Parker, am finally going to generate a QR code for myself! Humor me, I'm taking baby steps to bigger things :o).

Just by googling "QR code generator", you'll find a slew of websites where you can plug in a website and instantly download a custom QR code to use as a direct link. I plan to create one to use on stickers, which I will then slap on my business cards, my packaging, my forehead, etc.

This is the back of my business card with a sample QR code sticker
 These are the days where one must make their work easy access, and cater to the world of plugged-in folks with short attention spans, lol. Edited to add: Scan applications used on smartphones, tablets, and other devices can easily be downloaded free of charge. There are numerous different scan apps available, and they can be found on itunes, the android marketplace, or by googling "scanner application". Many of these applications are primarily used by consumers for comparison shopping by scanning traditional barcodes in stores, but also work for QR codes!

So that's my latest scheme. Stay tuned-- who can say what else is brewing, lol.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome idea!
    I'm going to go look at that, I have a smartphone, but I've never even "looked" at a QR code with my phone.
    It's a great idea to put those around town too.... Curious people would look!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey fellow Storenvian! :o)
    Yes, I've used my phone to access a company's website thru their QR code when I see them around town. Very convenient, and much quicker than typing in a url! I'm pondering different ways to use it!
    Thanx for the comment! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking about just the code photocopied and a witty comment beneath saying something like "curious? Take a snap with your smart phone and see what everyone is talking about" or something,

    I would love to put them on my cards, that would be cool, ooooh, I'm just about to leave for work.... When I get there I'm going to tape it on to the counter and people can have a look. I have a lot of regular customers that I chat with, it's kind of a fun way to show them! I think I'm going to do that today, just for fun!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you made a QR code? That's awesome! I like your idea for the blurb underneath. I'm interested to hear what kind of reactions you get when you share it with people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that making a QR code is a wonderful idea! We are definitely living in a plugged in world! Things seem to be speeding up too... I can barely keep up!

    ReplyDelete