Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Things I Make for Me

In a little change of pace, I thought I'd share a "TIMFM" post. 
That's not really a thing - I made it up just to share some of the things I make just for me. Most of the things I make are for other people. Whether sold in one of my shops online or created for a commission, from the start, they are never intended for me to keep. 

hummingbird perch created by artist Renee Parker
wiring beads onto the handmade form
In this instance, this item is, well, mostly for me. I have a small outdoor space with a container garden. Almost every year since I've maintained any size garden, I have put out hummingbird feeders in said garden. Not only do I want plants, butterflies, and bees. I want to see birds. Especially hummingbirds. 

So I make sugar water and put out feeders full of it. And when I pass by the window and see the tiny creatures flitting around drinking, I enjoy the magic of their colors and unfathomably fast wings. This past year, I noticed the birds would often pause and sit on the tops of my tomato cage for breaks, then drink a few more times before zipping away.
 
a hummingbird perched on my tomato cage
I loved that, since it allowed me to snap some pictures (from inside where they couldn't see me). But being uncoated metal sitting out in the hot sun, it didn't seem like the most comfortable place to pause. And I wanted to encourage more pausing, lol. 

closeup of a male hummingbird shot by Renee ParkerSo early this year, while I was in the process of deciding what to plant, I had the idea to make a simple perch. I started by doing a search online to see how they looked and to decide how I wanted to make mine. While I'm usually big on research and details, I didn't allot much time to this- pictures seemed enough. Plus, I'm one of those annoying people who can often look at something and figure out how to replicate it without instructions. So though I won't swear to it, I assume that the red beads I often saw front and center on different styles served the same purpose as the red on the feeders. The tiny birds, known for their sharp eyes, can spot the bright red on a flower or feeder from a distance to quickly find sustenance. So I made sure to add a red bead.

And here is the finished product. I really think it would be a nice perch for any type of bird to pause, not just hummingbirds (I mean, not, like, buzzards... ). But I have yet to spot any guests on it. They have been on the tomato cage, though. I hope to snap a picture of a bird sitting on the perch before the season is over!  


hummingbird perch created by artist Renee Parker
waiting for visitors
a hummingbird perch created by artist Renee Parker
the finished perch





No comments:

Post a Comment