Tuesday, June 20, 2023

To Do or Not to Do

I don't have a creative crystal ball. I don't, as a rule, always know how I'm going to complete a creative project or task when I take it on. I often just have a "gut" feeling, which prompts me to get rolling with it.

To be clear, this does not apply to commissioned projects, in which case I interview my client to glean a full understanding of what they seek and to be sure I have the means to offer it. 

a sunrise on a lake
I'm referring to starting an original project fueled solely by inspiration. It's often as simple as this. An idea or unique way of looking at something comes to me. The source can be virtually anything, anywhere. Something I see on television, read in a book, spot on a
hike in the woods, or even wandering through a thrift shop. It could be a color or texture, a sound that awakens a memory; it could be practically anything igniting the creative flame. 

The only control I have over this portion of the creative process is being open to receive it. And it's the area of my process (even more than skill or technique) that I feel has improved the most over the years. It amazes me how profound listening and observing can be, but I believe it's an artist's greatest tool. Before he or she picks up the first tool or draws the first line, honing the ability to simply observe.


So what next, after the observation and inspiration? 

Taking action. Immediate action, even if the how isn't clear, even if the outcome is unknown. Immediate action can mean jotting down thoughts or doing a few sketches to start. For me, it "cements" the idea in place before it can escape my consciousness and my fickle memory. Because let's face it, inspiration does not always happen at convenient times. It often happens in moments where it's just not possible to fully charge into the action. 

But I start. And I tweak and improve as I learn by doing. Sometimes it's a little fly by the seat of my pants, but it is indeed an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment