Monday, October 28, 2013

Creative [Building] Blocks

what next?
Found some time the other day, between working on other projects, to mess with this little paper mache teacup. It's been floating around my studio for a while, waiting on a bolt of lightning to hit to inspire me on how to finish it. It had a few coats of paint on it, but I felt the need to sand it, and this was the result. A sort of "happy accident" that resembles worn metalware (the painted metal cups and plates that people often take camping). In fact it reminds me of a favorite cup of mine.

Well, I'm leaving it alone again, to focus on other things (mainly commissioned and custom projects with deadlines), and give myself time to decide what kind of design I want to paint or draw over this background. I'm picturing a beautiful line drawing, or something to add some color to it, like a floral or other pattern. Guess we'll see!

This is a typical day/week in my studio. I must have numerous pieces going at one time, since things often need down time between steps for drying, deciding, etc. I'm sure my approach would drive some people crazy, but it has been the best way for me. Over the years, that approach has helped to inject variety into my work, keep me excited about each project, and to be pro-
ductive. Things stay fresh and interesting when I can work in spurts and see progress happening. Bonus: it keeps me from getting stressed out when I hit a roadblock with one thing and need time to figure out an answer. I consider solutions while I move on to other things. I think of myself as a busy bee in my studio, flitting from one piece to the next, moving each one forward and seeing series of things being completed in stages. View some of my finished teacups here.

Anyway, back to flitting for me. How would you finish this piece?

No comments:

Post a Comment