Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Up, Up, and Away

A few weeks ago I decided to raid my inventory of stored work to find something to put in an empty spot on a wall. These are paintings that are (or have been) available for purchase online or elsewhere. 

I pulled a painting I created years ago. It had never found a home, but I still liked it, so onto the wall it went. But I'm picky about the right pieces in the right spot (especially when it comes to size). So days later I found myself cocking my head to the side and staring at it thinking "Hmmmm... not sure that's the right painting for that wall."


But for the time being, I left it up. A little over a week passed. Then one evening, I heard my phone make the familiar "ca-ching!" sound that indicates a sale. It was the painting. It had sold!

Later, the customer who purchased it told me that she had wanted it for years.

Imagine that. Someone connecting with something I created and following it for years. 

What you create, what you put out into the world... well, you never know who and how it's moving or affecting people. Unless someone tells you, like this kind customer did, you never know. If you're a creative person (not just an artist), you owe your work to the world. If you were inspired to create it, it's for someone, somewhere. Could be just for your own expression or evolution. It could be words, a song, a painting, a sculpture, a meal, a dance, a business plan, or anything you create that changes someone's life. 

I realize it takes courage to create. Lord, after years and years of trial and error, wins and disappointments, rejections and accolades, I know it takes courage to create ANYthing. But the benefits can outweigh the costs. And they usually do.


No comments:

Post a Comment