Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Growing Inspiration

Faster than I could count my seeds, it's spring. As I mentioned in a previous post, one of my hobbies is gardening. 

Growing things and being surrounded by beauty inspires me. So for the past few years I've done my best to cultivate my green thumb (with my share of trial and error).

My favorite things to grow are edibles and herbs. I gravitate towards spices and fruit, especially rare ones. But I've had the most success with basics like basil, cilantro, bay laurel, thyme and some basic vegetables. The oddest things I've grown are african horned melon, dwarf pomegranates, silver dollar (lunaria), and toothache plants. I think the most beautiful things I've grown were tiger lilies, gladiolus, and nasturtiums. And the things I've struggled to grow are lavender, Chinese lanterns, Japanese eggplants and citrus, all of which have given up the ghost on me. But I'm determined, so I keep trying every season. 



For now my garden is mostly potted, but that makes it easier to shift the ones that need different conditions. It's not easy to keep up with them all, but with an enduring dream of the perfect, fragrant artist's garden, overflowing with beautiful food and flowers, I keep going.

Included in my 2023 lineup:

    kiwano melons
        
  • lavender
  • rosemary     
  • cilantro 
  • chives
  • ginger
  • turmeric
  • a few different basils
  • toothache plant
  • silver dollar/honesty plant
  • dwarf pomegranate 
  • brown turkey fig                                           
  • bay laurel
  • chamomile  
  • gomphrena globosa
  • nasturtiums                             
    lilies
  • lilies
  • gladiolus 
  • ranunculus
  • african daisies
  • echinacea
  • several mint varieties.                                 
  • amaranth
  • coleus
  • marigolds
  • rock soapwort
  • several varieties of strawberries
  • strawflower
  • salvia
    ginger
  • artichokes
  • tomatoes and tomatillos
  • peas
  • purple shamrock
... and there's more, but I'm getting a little embarrassed with this list. I did not realize how extensive it would be. So I'll stop here!

I'm happy to see the progress I've made and the things that I've learned since I initially posted about this hobby. One day I may be posting pictures of a beautiful glass greenhouse as seen from my lush
in-ground garden that has everything from trellised vines to fruit trees, a water feature, and even a mud maiden I sculpted myself. Wouldn't that be amazing?

toothache plant
snapping off early
strawberries


























No comments:

Post a Comment