Sunday, October 18, 2015

Go With the Flow

I used to annoy my Art School professors with my insistence on doing things [creatively] in a manner different from the established approach. I wanted to sketch things from what they sometimes called "oblique" or awkward angles. I would start a project with a step that was typically designated for midway through. I would sit down at the computer to build a graphic layout of letters and symbols without first spending hours brainstorming with pencil and paper (a mortal sin, according to my award-winning typography teacher). But aggravating them had little or nothing to do with my motivation. My motivation, which has admittedly taken years even for me to understand, was to find a comfortable starting point. To break a creative goal down into bite-sized pieces and start with the easiest to digest. This approach saved me all the times when I was clueless as to where or how to start, and even when I knew what I wanted to create, but was overwhelmed with how to do it. For me, to this day, the point is to start. To use whatever inkling I have, rub it together with a little focus and discipline until I catch a spark and the embers of inspiration begin to grow. Pablo Picasso said "inspiration exists, but it has to find you working". Picture standing on a trail with a bike, undecided where you want to go. Then once you get on and start peddling, the path opens up to you, and you're on an exciting ride with some awesome scenery. Forcing has never worked for me creatively.
But going with the flow, and tinkering with the [small] portion I'm clear on works all the time. It almost always gets the ball rolling.
I recently posted about a wire figure I had started, and today I finally found a few minutes to finish the wire portion of that sculpture. With a piece like this, more often than not, I do go the traditional route of planning prior to starting, even if it's just a quick sketch to decide.
But in this case, I pictured in my mind the form, size, style, and textures before I decided one big thing. The pose! I formed the frame and even the base on which it will stand. I decided what will happen with the surface once the pose is chosen. But I won't just do "eeny meenie" and settle on, say, "I'm a little teapot" or something. I want something good. So I'll probably pause on this one again until I really connect with the perfect pose/energy.
My point is, take a task, creative or otherwise, by the horns, or the snout, or the foot, or the tail. Not necessarily what someone else tells you is the "right" way to do it. Whatever it takes to get rolling. Before you know it, you've finished.  And hopefully I will, too! I'll update this post with a link to this piece when it's complete.

1 comment:

  1. Great words. Really enjoyed reading this; very informative.

    ReplyDelete