Tuesday, December 24, 2013

One Tip Tuesday

As promised in my last rant- er, post, here is the tip I wanted to share. It's a sort of craft hack that I think makes the basic step of applying paper mache to a balloon easier.

If you've ever attempted to apply wet paper strips to a balloon, you know the balloon doesn't exactly hold still while you work. It will roll around, possibly causing your handiwork to get shifted or even fall off. Here's a simple answer to that annoying scenario. Inflate a balloon and knot the opening. Next, weight the balloon by tying the mouth around the knotted opening of a bag of river stones (found at craft and garden stores). Now get a small bucket or large plastic tub. Mine is a large yogurt tub. Drop the bag of stones down into the tub. Now the balloon sits securely on the top, ready to be used.
Note: you may need to adjust and tighten the knot around the bag, depending on the size of your container, to get the balloon to sit firmly in the container.

Voilà! Now you can easily apply petroleum jelly (release agent) and the wet paper strips, without having to steady the balloon. I don't know if anyone else has shared something like this... I only came up with it the other day to make a project I had to do easier, lol. But I hope it helps someone out there!

that was easy!



1 comment: