Sunday, January 6, 2013

All Aboard

A conversation I was having with my parents the other day stirred up a childhood memory long forgotten. Whatever we were discussing somehow came around to the subject of natural aptitudes and we began talking about things my brother and I had been drawn to and picked up easily as children. I suddenly remembered having asked my dad if I could have a piece of the scrap wood in the garage and the use of his hammer and some nails. I was a little girl who loved her toys, especially my Barbie dolls and Legos, but I also had dreams of enlisting my little brother and building a robot, or a fort, or a tree house. I remember how excited I was when my dad said yes (with a stern warning about smashing my thumbs), because for some reason, in my mind, that board could be the beginning of all kinds of wonderful things. We were going to build something magical. In hindsight, I appreciate how my parents gave my imagination space and permission to fly, and let me see where it could take me. That has definitely contributed to my sense of "anything is possible!" when it comes to things I want to create today.

I know I smashed my thumb at least once in the excitement, but knowing hammer privileges might be revoked, I kept my mouth shut. And in my experimental play, kept my mind open... to this day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment