Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Summer of...

So I will confess to being a workaholic. If I'm pried away from my home office and studio for very long I admit, I get a little anxious thinking of everything I want to get done here. But lately a new pattern seems to be forming. Today my brother (love him) managed to get me away to join he and our mom to see the movie "Avengers". By the time the 20 minutes of previews and commercials was over, my anxiety about my to-do list was quieting down, and I was able to have a good time hanging with them and seeing an excellent, action-packed movie. I know the old adage about "all work and no play...", but sometimes I get so busy in my "artist with her nose to the grindstone, paying her dues" mindset, I forget to make some time to do things just for fun. But when I do, the payoff is that I return to my work refreshed and inspired, often with something new to bring to it.


Just to set the record straight, I love to have fun, and I do realize the importance of balance in one's life. And in the past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to enjoy a number of new adventures! In a series of firsts, I visited some new towns, walked some beautiful new nature trails, cooked some new dishes, went kayaking, and went to an amazing Korean sauna I'd never been to. Just reflecting on the past month or two, I'm putting it out there right now: This is gonna be an amazing, wonderful summer (more great firsts, please!). Professionally and personally, artistically and otherwise. I'm going to make that happen. What are you putting out there?

P.S. I promise I'll be posting projects I'm working on and sharing techniques as part of my amazing summer - stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I love your pics and all the "firsts" you've done sound amazing! I want to hear about the spa!!!! Hope you have a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tara! I hope you and fam do, too! I hope this month is a taste of what the summer will bring!
    The sauna is Jeju in Gwinnett. I am definitely going back. I recommend visiting their website (http://www.jejusauna.net/)and reading the reviews on Yelp- they're very accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't it feel great to take time to smell the roses?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i perfectly understand you...i feel the same even if i'm not doing art but handmade.obviously my family disagree seeing my occupied with mine's many times.
    take advantage of the wonderful summer time!we will be watching you :)

    ReplyDelete