Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ideas Galore


a batch of papier mache pulp
waiting to become something amazing
Okay, if you're just stumbling onto this blog, my work, or me, for that matter, you probably don't know that one of my all time favorite mediums (as an artist with a short attention span) is papier mache. My name is Renée, and I am a papier mache addict. There I said it.

Anyway, I was online doing some research for some new techniques. I had stumbled onto an old book with a different type of paper art that I wanted to try. In my searching, I happened onto a new design blog, which I instantly followed and wanted to share. So here we are. Dornob: Design Ideas Daily is a rabbit hole of things to look at in every type of design. They just happened to have a post that included examples of beautiful forms made of papier mache that sucked me in: http://dornob.com/pulp-projects-recycled-paper-pots-planks-shelves-more/. I will warn you, this blog is packed to the brim with ads, but if you can look past them to the meat of the content, you might find some gems yourself. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. hi Renee!
    i can't wait to see how that gray matter is coming to life !
    i know Debbie Wijskamp's creations from a while and i see that her creations needs much heat be that a good sunny place to live or a special drying chamber-box.

    it just happened to me that one of my dearest and largest gifts become a loft of flour beetles.what an horror!and that's because i mixed the pulp with gramma's old flour.luckily i used it only than it never happened such to me before...it must have been awful to my brother(it was a gift for their daughter)see those little black things flying all over the children room not knowing where they came from.now the big mirror surface is riddled thought it was varnished in three layers and already left the room.have you ever experienced such? lately my little pieces are burned in the microwave and completely safe but i must obtain the substance that keeps the bugs away from paper mache for extra safety...

    lucking forward your amazing creations Renee! you rock girl!
    hugs,ildi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ildi!
    Sorry to hear about the beetle attack :o(. I know bugs like paper, and they love flour.
    I can't mess with them, so years ago I switched from flour to wallpaper paste for my pulp. But I was getting sick everytime I used the paste. So I switched to plain white glue and have been using that for years with great results.
    I've tried the microwave to dry things fast, but I have burnt too many things up, lol. The only thing I use now to get things dry fast is planning ahead, patience, and fans.

    Have you experimented with different sealants (varnishes) to protect your pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love when colors are revealing by using a glossy varnish-usually a regular yacht or parquet varnish.
    i also experimented mat spray varnish for acrylics and i love that stuff also.if you're sealing an atc for example it's surface gets granulated and waterproof.it doesn't leaves marks as a mod podge would do.what's your preferred sealant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite sealant is Krylon matte spray. I use it for most of my pieces to get a smooth, satin finish. I like it for everything from atcs, to mache, and some paintings. I do use mod podge once in a while when I want that look. And once in a while I try different gloss sealants. I like knowing how each type of sealant will look, so I can decide which one is the best look for my project, don't you?

    ReplyDelete