Sunday, October 30, 2011

Package Envy

The designer in me has a weakness for
beautiful packaging. I admire innovative,
creative, compelling design, but who doesn't?
It's human nature to be drawn to things in pretty packages. I will admit to desiring a product (or a man, lol) solely on the merits of the package design, knowing full well I had no use for the object(s) inside. Anyway, I love to incorporate special touches in packaging my own handmade things. In my humble opinion, it's part of the fun of a unique handmade item for me, and I hope, for the customer or recipient, too. It definitely sets the tone, telling the end user, "this is something special". Here's my latest prototype, packaging for a magnifying glass and letter opener set embellished with my handmade recycled paper beads:

simple, designed to showcase the product inside
 
a descriptive label I designed and printed from my laserjet onto cardstock
a larger label on the back, with more details about the product
This project was something I had been meaning to get around to but didn't until a customer ordered it for an anniversary gift (possibly for their "paper" anniversary??) and requested gift wrapping. I will make some tweaks (because I'm just anal like that) to the design and use it to package more sets. Here's how the gift wrap came out:




No comments:

Post a Comment