Tuesday, February 15, 2011

the Morning After

I've already blogged (on my old blog) about how I think holidays like Valentine's Day are a load of crap, and nothing but a way for card companies, jewelers, and florists to capitalize on people's disillusioned expectations, so I won't rehash all that, lol.  I will say that I had a revelation recently that folks who are not inclined to be "retail romantics" the rest of the year should actually like this capitalist imposed day, because they can provide the obligatory flourish of token gifts and gestures on this day, then spend the rest of the year relaxing on their laurels, every so often reminding their significant other of the special day they paid fo- er, created.  Just think of how making a little fuss on the one day could rack up points for the whole year!   

Wikipedia's definition doesn't seem to quantify any dollar amounts or material gain prerequisites in the formula for love (yes, I realize that in the real world, money, and the flow of it is an unavoidable thing). I maintain that I prefer a man with whom I can exchange everyday gestures that say we care: "honey, I made dinner", "babe, thanks for taking the car for an oil change", "sweetie, I scrubbed out that ring of grit you left in the tub...".  
I don't know what my male counterparts think (chime in anytime, guys!), but in my opinion, in everyday life, these things add up to more than one day of forced gift showering (course, a girl couldn't turn down an impulse "just because" token, but I want something because you thought of me and wanted to do something nice, not because you think you'd better or I'll be ticked).  

All that aside, everyday is a day for love, with people who understand what that is.  Wouldn't it 
be awesome if everyone recognized the loved ones and the "soulmates" all around them (not just their significant others), and recognized everyday as an opportunity to share and demonstrate love in their words and actions?  I am thankful to know lots of people who do.♥

No comments:

Post a Comment