Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Throw a Blog a Bone

Okay, so I know I'm overdue to throw this blog some action. It has been far too long for someone like me, who actually enjoys writing. So I thought I'd share a thought I was having about my work this week. As an artist, I've had to experiment with different disciplines over the years, to find the ones I was most passionate about, hone the ones that stuck, and build on them.

Part of my artistic growth over the years has involved taking commissioned projects and freelance work. For the sake of gaining experience, and earning a living, I have done creative work all over the spectrum of possibilities.

Experience has allowed me to become more selective over the years in the types of projects I accept, thankfully. But every opportunity, whether I enjoyed the project or not, has taught me something I use in my work today. As I take time at the top of a new year to think about what I would like to accomplish this year in my creative work, I've given some thought to all the different creative things

I've done over the years, and came up with this crazy list:
  • sign painting
  • mural painting
  • commercial art sculpture and installation
  • commercial interior design/renovation
  • custom clothing design
  • portraits
  • logo design
  • gaffer
  • custom jewelry
  • custom lettering
  • production
  • pitch writing and television demonstration
  • class instructor
  • voice over artist 
  • space planning
  • copyrighting
  • graphic designer
  • and more recently, (as a side gig) background artist on local tv and film productions
While I'm thankful to have had these opportunities, and I know I took something away from all of them, I'm excited to be zeroing in on how exactly my creative work looks in my fondest dreams. It feels good to narrow it down! That being said, I'm looking forward (right along with fine tuning the dream) to fine tuning my blog, website, Etsy store, social media... okay, let's not get overwhelmed here... Bottom line- if you're figuring things out, you're on your way. Be excited!

10 Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin, to see the plumb line in Zerubbabel’s hand.”


No comments:

Post a Comment